 Administrative / General / 5736
Re: Automated password appraisal (Re: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:08:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
I have a suggestion, you may want to test substitute things like "!" as
a substitute for "l" or "i".

You mean, change from checking !->i to checking both !->i and !->l ?  (It
does currently check !->i -- did that not work for you in some instance?)

Have you thought about vowels being dropped and K/c substitutions.

Good idea!

I have a password which I would consider a worthless password the way you
are scoring them which depends on these two transformations. I'll be
happy to e-mail it to Todd directly if he wants to look at it and
consider how to detect

Lemme see about the above suggestions and then you can try it again later
without having to email it...

(of course that may start to become hard to ever
find a password, for things like this, the weakness may depend on
context [i.e. what is the account being used for, or what are the
person's interests]).

Well, in the end, the checker is doing more of a "randomness evaluation"
than anything else.  Memorability and practicality aside, the best passwords
are those which are close to being truly random and far away from being
generateable by looping or cracking algorithms.  So the trick is to find
a password which is still memorable and typeable while being randomish
enough.

--Todd