 Administrative / General / 5737
Re: Automated password appraisal (Re: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:23:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
I have a suggestion, you may want to test substitute things like "!" as
a substitute for "l" or "i".

You mean, change from checking !->i to checking both !->i and !->l ?  (It
does currently check !->i -- did that not work for you in some instance?)

Ah, checked again, it didn't detect "7!" as a mapping for "li", but did
detect "7i" as "li". It did reject both passwords though, but it had a
lot fewer problems with the "7!" version, and the level changed from
"worthless" to "weak". Interestingly, it didn't detect the word that I
used, but a bunch of sub words.

What is good I guess is that the passwords that I did create as sort of
"random" passwords both pass (though only one of them do I use enough to
remember it).

I guess I need to reconsider my passwords (it's just that at work we
have to change our passwords every 6 months which makes it a pain).
There has to be some way to have memorable passwords which are decently
secure, and some way to deal with the fact that these days you can have
tens if not hundreds of logins.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com