 Administrative / General / 5754
Re: Automated password appraisal (Re: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:03:49 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Have you thought about vowels being dropped and K/c substitutions.
Good idea!

Hmmm...not sure how to go about doing this...  The way the checker achieves
its speed is by looking up all substrings in its dictionary rather than
passing every single diciontionary word over all substrings (which could take
hours).  So, for example, in order to find a match on something like "lgsstm"
("lego system" minus vowels), it would either have to know exactly which
letters you dropped (in which case the lookup would be speedy) or it would
have to examine millions of permutations of each vowel in each position (in
which case it would be excruciatingly slow) and it might even find whole
bunches of unwanted matches -- for example "leagues steamy" matching
"lgsstm" when all you meant was "lego system", or "mound mayor angie" or
"money dime ring" matching "mndmrng" when all you meant was "mondaymorning".

I don't mean to say it's not a good idea to check (I think it is a good idea,
just as a diagnostic for people) -- I just don't know how to do it quickly
and efficiently without some really big iron.

--Todd