 Administrative / General / 5505
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 02:52:54 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Bram Lambrecht writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman & Suzanne Rich writes:
Only LUGNET Members can rate articles, but anyone can view and benefit from
the ratings.  Your individual ratings are shown to you only.

That'll require my password...I hope this doesn't sound pushy, but when are • the
260's packets going out?
--Bram

Be patient.  Todd gets them out relatively quickly, I think.  Certainly faster
than Auczilla winnings--much less counting and packaging.  At least I was happy
with the short time it took for my member packet to arrive.

Speaking of memberships and this new article rating system being implemented--
I now think I now know why Mr. Tom Stangl has recently become a member.
Personally I am surprised he was not one of the first 50 or so people to send
along his membership fee.  Perhaps Tom has some personal issues or something
along those lines making him relunctant until now.

Membership to Lugnet is/will soon be an excellent thing.  I am anxious for new
developments to come to fruitition as I know Todd has said there are a few more
in the works right now.  Thinking back to the original Lugnut plan [1][2] and
looking it over again now, it really shows how well planned this whole lugnet
experiment has been all along.  A few features discussed in the plan are being
offered at/by other locations, such as galleries at brickshelf.com, but as a
whole I think that lugnet has turned out well.

I would like to see a few more customized message search options from the web
interface, and I am confident that those features will appear soon.  The
message rating system is just part of such customized searches, but may a
critical component of such a thing.  It may also have some impact in regard to
any type of archiving of messages in case the need to purge messages arises.

From a fantasy perspective, I can see a mirror site, for example, lugnet_2.com,
that is a boiled down archive of news messsages that are finely referenced and
cross referenced on specific issues and topics providing the reader with the
best information and informed opinions possible without a lot of ~noise~
content or unrelated conversation.  This will require a lot of objective input
and even some subjective decision making, but may be a very worthwhile
endeavor.  Again, this new message rating system may provide the basis for such
a thing.

But don't take my opinions as fact, read the messages in lugnet.admin.general
regarding article scoring.  The main thread starts here -->
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=4819

                  Kevin Salm
....The biggest fan of the Gray Lego brick....

[1] http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/
[2] as I remember, the initial name for Lugnet WAS Lugnut