 Administrative / General / 12356
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:24:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

?<snip>

Do you (generic you, not just David) agree to abide by the administration's
interpretation of LUGNET Terms of Use and Service? (For the moment, let's not
get into the details of appeals processes and so on, which can be assumed to
exist.) In other words, do you acknowledge that LUGNET administrators have the
right and responsibility to enforce the Terms of Use document?

I won't speak for others, but I believe that the admins have the right and
responsibilty to enforce the ToU.  It is, after all, your house--should your ToU
in your house require all people to take of their shoes when they come in, then
the shoes must come off, and you have the 'responsibility and right' to enforce
this rule.

If there is vagueness where the rules are concerned, on the other hand, or the
rules are not applied equally, or there's 'double-speak' ('we don't censor but
you will have to censor or we will ban you') then these things need to be
addressed.

I support the admins but I am not a sycophant for the admins.

If the answer is "no" then there's a whole lot more to be done than just put a
word censor in place. Again, this may appear confrontational, but it's not meant
to be; we simply need to have a very clear understanding of what LUGNET members
expect from administrators, and vice versa.

- Kelly McKiernan
LUGNET Administrator

Thanks for endeavouring to resolve this issue.

Dave K