 Administrative / General / 11497
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:08:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Sophie wrote:
   As for the LUGNET home page, I would like to suggest:

Minifig’s with that Brick Fest 2003 style Logo, or simular portrayals of chat symbolized by a caption cloud and a brick or Lugnet symbol in the middle; bringing people together. That idea should stay and possibly be expanded upon. Like mini-figs from all continents brought together and connected by the brick in the middle of the word cloud. Vital and original. Primal brick chat.

How about using different styles of minifigs to represent different themes? A Classic Space minifig for lugnet.space; a knight for lugnet.castle; etc.

   Also a better (looking or styled) link to Brickshelf and a few other focal points.

Yes--LUGNet should be more of a portal to the other online community sites. I think that prominently featured on the homepage should be things like:
  • Find a LUG or LTC in your area
  • Browse other LEGO sites (Brickshelf, Peeron, BZPower, LEGOFan.net, BotB,
  • Places to buy LEGO sets and parts (shop.lego.com, bricklink,
In addition to the LUGNET-hosted content. Each of those categories could be a graphic on the LUGNET home page, which leads to a page listing all the resources in that category.

I think overall LUGNET is too insular, without enough linking to other sites. The web is all about links between sites.

   Make sure to include new jumps to the lugnet.org areas, so we can better direct people to the places people and localities closest or of most interest to them. This way new people can join local lugs easier.

Infact we should desing icons for this.

Yes! Lots of icons! Design an icon for each newsgroup, even?

   Make CLSOTW, a monthly thing; CLSOTM. Less work, I guess. Either way, I thought cool site of the xyz should stay. Perhaps just made easier for all concerned. I promise to try and vote regularly. I know we lacked in this at times.

Good idea. Also people don’t always visit the home page, so they don’t remember to vote. Make it possible to get an email nagging us to vote.

   OH OH! add a featured MOC to the LUGNET Home page!!!! Why not! Could be cool, and it can show case the abilities of our fine members so it really can make an impression on visitors. Like a super big Lego Stego by Henry Lim or a tiny sculpture like Jon Palmer’s super cool Sci-Brick Match-Bot Award.

Great idea! Instead of having a vote though, let’s have a MOC randomly selected from a pool of submissions. Each builder can submit their own works to the pool, which someone would have to moderate (to prevent something inappropriate getting selected).

--Bill.