 Administrative / General / 11386
  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Exactly. (...) I'm up in the air about keeping 'Top Stories' on the main page of LUGNET. Perhaps it should stay, and have a bit less prominent position. What I'd *really* like to see is a magazine-style news posting system where articles (not (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Wouldn't it be just easier to share the info with those pages? (...) yahoo.lugnet.org? ;-)) Just why 'admins'? Let everybody add anything, let others vote, let others veto. Add autotools for periodical link checking. Let the person who added (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) snip (...) Yes! - it would be very much like a group blog. See my mockup: (URL) (...) snip (...) This is a great idea. It is a superhuman task for one person, or even a few people to keep up with all the links out there. Marc Nelson Jr. (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

how about a wiki? anyone can put stuff on there, but its so easy to remove spam Marc Nelson Jr. wrote: <snip> (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) It would be pretty easy to convert the /links/ area from static HTML pages into dynamic FTX content, which would essentially give wiki-type functionality. --Todd (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Too much grunt work. The technical solution is too easy not to implement. (...) I agree that anyone should be able to submit a link for consideration, but I believe (strongly) that an administrator should have to approve links to be publicly (...) (20 years ago, 21-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Absolutely! At 1000steine.de you can submit links too: (URL) I have to accept all links and it's not uncommon, that somebody submits links that has really nothing to do with LEGO. So I can delete them before they're public. Leg Godt! René (20 years ago, 21-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Also, on a practical level, doing redirects (not just DNS records) as subdomains would be prohibitively expensive with the current Lugnet hosting arrangement. (20 years ago, 21-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) I don't know anything about current situation, but this is beyond my imagination? What's that 'expensive' on one dns record and one mod_rewrite line in Apache config? (20 years ago, 22-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Sorry, this doesn't sound too 'open' to me as I fell this is 'power centralisation' (your opinions may differ, of course). I still think that crowd may have 'better' {and definitely faster} decisions than few chosen ones. I think that total (...) (20 years ago, 22-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) "If we just ignore the spammers, they'll stop sending Email" Trust me, the above statement is completly false. I think moderation is neccessary to avoid the link page from being overrun with ads for "free" medication and "foolproof" get rich (...) (20 years ago, 22-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Why frame this negatively with the words 'power centralization?' Think ... what 'power' would link administrators have? Approve/reject links to be made public. Its in the best interest of creating a comprehensive directory to link to as many (...) (20 years ago, 22-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) ? I'm for moderation. But _everybody_ would be one. You'd vote for 'offtopic', I'd vote for 'offtopic', somebody else would do so... and voila, link is removed. The only problem remains in setting the good rules with good weights. (20 years ago, 22-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) From a technical point of view, nothing at all. And maybe Pair would be cool about it, I dunno. ISPs like to charge for stuff like that, is all. Hopefully, we'll eventually have an arrangement which gives us more control. (20 years ago, 22-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Our company decided that all of the webhosters are too restrictive, so we went the serverhosting way, where man can have lots of freedom without any additional payments. RH Enterprise + 700gbs of traffic monthly for relatively low price. I can (...) (20 years ago, 22-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) In the clear cases, there is no argue that they could get as good results as few admins. In the 'grey' cases, the voting of more people can make the result to represent the majority opinion, which may not be the case of few admins. (...) It (...) (20 years ago, 22-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) I'd rather see the link directory be well architected than reflect majority opinion. This would require a few thoughtful, knowledgeable, and fair people to give a little bit of time to maintaining it. This isn't voting on major policy here, we (...) (20 years ago, 23-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Orion, do you have any basis for making a blanket statement such as your first sentence? I'm not trying to defend or condemn anybody, but that's bad logic to just say "trust me.." and not give any reason. Your next sentence provides a reason, (...) (20 years ago, 23-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Well I know that there are some goof balls who take the time to use MichLUG.org's contact form to spam us MichLUGers. So if someone is willing to waste their time on that I can only assume the same would be true of a much larger site like (...) (20 years ago, 23-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, FTX)