 Administrative / General / 11405
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:16:02 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
What I'd *really* like to see is a magazine-style news posting system where
articles (not posts) are written for the LUGNET main page. Take a look at
<http://www.bzpower.com BZPower>, <http://www.brickfilms.com BrickFilms>, or
<http://www.fbtb.net FBTB> among other sites to see what I'm talking about. This
feature wouldn't take up the whole main page, but could have a significant part
of the middle devoted to it.

Wouldn't it be just easier to share the info with those pages?

When I was brainstorming the WorldLUG project with Paul Hartzog, one of our key
ideas was a central links database - like an open directory project. Allow
LUGNET members to update their own URLs that are listed in the links database,
and set up a few admins to manage links to non-LUGNET-member sites.

yahoo.lugnet.org? ;-))
Just why 'admins'? Let everybody add anything, let others vote, let
others veto. Add autotools for periodical link checking. Let the person
who added the link that it points nowhere for some time... etc.

There could even be a redirect URL which would always point to the current
location of a site, by way of the central link database. For example, if I own
www.foo.com, and I want to link to www.geocities.com/~bar/glort.html, but I know
that page will probably change in the future, I can link to
www.lugnet.com/link.cgi?id=x (where x is the link ID of the page I'm linking
to). The LUGNET server would then redirect me to
www.geocities.com/~bar/glort.html - {and if that ever changed} the link would
point me in the right direction once the link database was updated.

See my sig. www.atari.org gives third level domains as a redirect.
That's the easiest link to remember (don't like all those ? in urls and
id numbers), works great and is easy to implement.

--
Jindroush <jindroush@nospam.seznam.nospam.cz>
http://jindroush.atari.org - Home of Atari Cartridge Dumping Project