 Year / 2002 / 398
Re: Galidor in Late Spring S@H Catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2002
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 07:54:44 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.year.2002, Frank Filz writes:
I just received the Late Spring S@H catalog which has Galidor in it.
They actually do just scrape into being LEGO... The arms and legs appear
to be attached using the new joint seen in the 2002 Alpha Team sets. The
figures range from 10 to 29 pieces, with prices ranging from $9.99 to
$19.99. The pieces are very sculpted, consistent with an action figure
line, but it is neat that they do actually attach with a joint
compatible with LEGO building bricks. I'm tempted to get one of the more
expensive ones just because the parts might be more useable, there is a
$9.99 creature which does have some possibilities. A few hold staves or
other items, it's not clear what diameter these will be, I'm guessing
thicker than a rod. Interesting, one of the figures has wings with jet
engines as alternates to his arms, the engines fire a Technic
projectile.

Just received my catalog too.  I'm not sure what I'm hoping about Galidor.
Most of me wants Galidor to bomb, because I don't want Lego to continue this
type of product line.  But on the other hand, I hate for Lego to take
another financial blow from a stupid decision.  I still have alot of loyalty
for many reasons.

I know this is probably plowed ground, but let this normally lurker express
his thoughts.  The Lego I know and love is the open ended creative play from
my childhood.  When I had my classic space shuttle at age 8 (I think), my
astronaut came without a name.  The shuttle had no name.  The control panel
had functions that MARKUS assigned to it.  Nobody else.  There was no story
line to attach it to.  Even Blacktron, a few years later, though the catalog
image burned in my memory was of a Blacktron dude arrested by the space
police, they weren't necessarily the bad guys.  They still had those
wonderfully dopey smiles under the dark visor.

I was displeased initially when they changed the official Lego smiley, but
now I look for as many variations as I can (still hate the faces with mics
though).  I see more head selection as opening more doors for creative play.
It gives MY soldiers, spacemen, pirates, more individualism and helps me
make a better Lego world.

I didn't like when Lego created story lines with the new products.  The
first character that came with a pre-fab name was Redbeard, at least that I
saw.  While I like him personally, I think that was the first real
creativity "stumbling block" that Lego gave.  Of course, I didn't tell my
little brother that was his name so we could call him whatever we wanted.

Now all Lego characters come with names, or most of them.  Johnny Thunder's
friends and foes, the arctic nobodies, Rock Raiders, LOM's martians and
earthers.  I'm not really sure why.  I'm certain that Lego is convinced they
must dumb down for succeeding generations.  We may be devolving, eh?  Again,
this is just a hurdle for those like me who forget their names and original
outfits.  It's my world and I can do what I want.  Johnny has had a
different head since day one.

I don't really like the licensing of products by Lego.  Star Wars is cool.
Don't get me wrong.  But the minifigs and many of the parts pigeon hole you
into who the characters are already established as.  Sometimes the walls are
impossible to climb over.  Anything you do to Chewbacca makes him look like
a distorted Chewbacca.  Just like every TV show and movie Leonard Nimoy
plays in has my brain asking, "Why is Mr Spock on Murder She Wrote?  How did
they get Mr Spock on Mission Impossible?  What is Mr Spock doing in
Mayberry?"  (Of course I made those references up, but you know what I'm saying.

OTOH, licensing has contributed things to our community we wouldn't have had
without it.  As a kid I dreamed up changeable alien heads and bodies and
even considered sending my ideas to Lego.  There are many new shaped heads
that could serve this purpose.  We can use Star Wars costumes better for
castle than many castle costumes. Light Sabers are cool in every time
period, new canopies, big round doorways and things.  Even Harry Potter, who
I personally despise, has given us frogs and rats, turbans for making our
own terrorists, dorky hair that decreases the IQ of any minifig, brooms and
more.  I don't have to buy the set, thanks to Brinklink/bay and it's
unlikely Lego would have come up with a terrorist theme by itself.  The
licensing forced Lego to create things for us it normally wouldn't have.
And that's groovy.  I think Mary Jane's bod is the new red.  Can anyone confirm?

While Bionicle still had a few variations in it's pre-fab parts, Galidor
completely shuts down creativity.  The entire story is pre-programmed.  You
can turn your action figure into... an action figure with arms that look
like they belong on a different action figure.  It doesn't even make sense
unless you see it through the filter of the story.  A step or two below Mr
Potato head
See for yourself.  How many "Glinching possibilities" don't look like a
factory error.  In fact, some models look like mistakes in their original
form.  In short, despite a few joints and mechanisms, Galidor has zero
compatibility with Lego and even less expanding within it's own line.  When
a kid has his first set, what can he do?

Any way, that's my two bricks\
Markus