 Western/Wild West / 57
Re: Future Wild West Possibilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 03:34:18 GMT

David Little wrote in message ...
In lugnet.western, Frank Filz writes:
Dave Schuler wrote:
  Someone elsewhere in this thread observed that slaves featured heavily • in
the pirate industry but are absent from Lego Pirates.  True enough, but • I
don't recall seeing the Lego Pirates Sugar Cargo set, either, so the • exclusion
of any one brand of Pirate's "cargo" doesn't necessarily signify a • deliberate
overlooking of slavery as an issue in the theme.

The reason you don't see slaves in the pirate theme is that slaves
really aren't part of the romanticized pirate genre. This is also the
reason I doubt we will see a Civil War theme, or any other real war
theme. They haven't been romanticized. The historical themes we have
seen have all been romanticized (castle (including ninja), pirates, wild
west, adventurers).

--
Frank Filz

I would disagree with your thoughts on the Civil War not being romanticized • or
any other war for that matter.  I mean just watch Gettysburgh they • romanticize
the dickens out of Pickets charge.  How is that any different from how • castle
has been romanticized?

I have to admit to not having seen any of the Civil War movies (other than
Gone With The Wind). I still say that the Civil War has not been
romanticized to the same degree that wild west, pirates, castle, and
adventurers are. Look at the whole toy market. How many castle toys are
there? How many pirate toys? How many wild west toys? I don't recall seeing
many Civil War toys, though there is an abundance generic modern war toys.

TLC has also shied away from depiction of conflicts that people might be
sensitive about (notice that wild west shows no conflict between the whites
and the Indians, the conflict depicted is either cavalry/sheriff against the
outlaws, or between Indians). There is also no interaction between the ninja
and the rest of the castle theme.

Frank