 Vikings / 30
Re: Vikings vs Castle?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 01:01:32 GMT

In lugnet.vikings, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
In lugnet.vikings, John P. Henderson wrote:
I just noticed .vikings at Lugnet.  ...But shouldn't Vikings be a subgroup of
Castle? (in much the same way as Ninja)

Maybe that's just my inexperienced logic talking though, so please don't flame
me if there is some heated reason I'm unaware of as to why this decision was
made...

-Hendo

Hi Hendo,

Please see this thread for further information:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=1379

Leg Godt!
René

Thanks Rene for the explanation.  I can understand the logic behind the decision
insofar as TLC markets it as a separate theme.  I don't mean the following to be
a debate but rather simply dicussion...

However, for those who argue against any link with the Castle theme, I point out
it is not an issue of maritime consideration so much as it is an issue of
historical era.  If I recall my history, the Vikings thrived from the late Roman
era through into the Middle Ages - the same time period that serves to inspire
the Castle theme.  The Age of Sail that inspired the Pirate theme is
disconnected from the Norse by a few hundred years (I believe).

Another point is that many castle sets were in fact maritime in nature and
clearly were the predecessors of the new theme.  (Think sets 6049, 6057, etc.)

In any case, perhaps a compromise can be reached.  Clearly some newcomers (or
Dark Agers like myself) might look for Vikings in lugnet.castle and thus miss
the group all together.  I propose that perhaps a link to lugnet.vikings be
placed in the .castle webpage even though it is not a subgroup.  This has been
done before - e.g. .starwars is linked from .space but is a separate group
(based in part on the same criteria that it is marketed as a separate theme by
TLC).  Just a thought...

-Hendo