 Underground / 339
Re: So what is "Underground", anyway?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.underground
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 13:10:56 GMT

In lugnet.underground, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:
   In lugnet.underground, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   Since LEGO never really developed this theme, this thematic area is really one for AFOLs to flesh out (like, for instance, the development of the Sea Monkeys in .aquazone). So what counts as “Underground”?

Actually, IMHO, I think LEGO did develop the theme, albeit under different guises; the “ice” theme became “Arctic”; the rock/space theme became “Life on Mars”; the sense of ‘adventure’ became, well... “Adventurers”; etc. Maybe we need some Rock Monkeys here.

Actually, I think LOM was developed out of town, because Star Wars sets were in production at that time. I think the premise was that LOM was an extension of the space collection on the town theme. Rumors are that TLG wasn’t allowed to produce space sets while Star Wars sets were in production--so TLG wasn’t introducing cross competition. I think the license runs until 2007.

I agree with Bruce - this area is under AFOL development... if anyone wants to develop a special faction, like those in .space, please feel free to do so. Your faction can be any group/team/army that goes deep - I’ll set up a special page for that, if you do!

   Is it a particular tech level--the Rock Raiders seems in kind of a parallel sci-fi universe? Or is it anything that is, literally, underground. This could range from cavemen painting on the walls of their cave, to sappers in castle times, to the NYC subway, to some moonbase mine. Any thoughts?

If you’ve seen the Rock Raiders video game, it starts out on their spaceship, where they mine planets and the like. Same story with some of the Rock Raiders books that were put out.

Ironically, I did have a fun story idea where the Rock Raiders were drilling/mining, but hit Magma, only to find Tahu surfing the same lava flow...

To me, underground means “physically underground”, not the metaphorical term “underground” (sorry Rob!). Some ideas for Underground:

-Miners

-Tunnel borers

-Sandkings (If anybody has seen the specials on NYC’s water supply--you’ll know who the sandkings are.. hm..maybe I don’t have the name exactly right..sandhogs? Darn--now I’ve got that “sand kings” outer limits episode in my head...

-some kind of energy supply? i.e. crystals, or geothermal energy

-cave explorers (i.e. Carlsbad caverns)

Just some stuff to get the mind going..

Scott