 Trains / Train Organizations / SCLTC / 248
Re: SCLTC FRRD 2005 Photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.scltc
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 00:06:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org.scltc, Tim David wrote:
   This is one of those photo galleries that makes me depressed (wait!) but also spurs me on to do Lego stuff. I look at it and think, I could never do that, but of course its not just the work of one person and if I work as part of a team I CAN do it!

Well, one member in particular, my mom, Susan, worked tirelessly graveling practically every curve and switchtrack in the layout!

   The photos are the most consistantly excellent I have seen of a train show and there have been some good ones. The extensive use of the minifig veiwpoint both engages you in their world and also makes the layout seem huge. Careful planning of shots means that you can’t see the edge of the ‘world’ and also splits the layout up.

I’m glad you like the pictures. As the photographer, I thank you =). I try to take ‘all LEGO’ shots in which nothing in the shot is not made out of bricks. This frequently involves minifig-closeups or using other buildings as the background. I also judge every image before I take it using the LCD screen on my camera, and then screen them again before posting them. I use my favorite images as desktop wallpapers.

   I’m interested in how you acheive all this, I see from the site that you have about fifteen members (or is that just the main members?) Do you meet regularly and do you have a base to build together in or is it all done individually and brought together for the shows? Do you have ‘club’ Lego such as the track or is again all owned by individuals. My knowledge of US geography isn’t that great, how geographically spread out are you?

We have members as far south as San Diego and members as far north as Bakersfield (a little over 200 miles), so it is difficult to get everyone in one place very often except for shows and occasional major meetings (layout planning sessions). Everything is individually owned, though lately we have started buying ‘club’ baseplates and track to cover large expanses.

   The reason I ask is because I imagine you to be roughly similar in spread and numbers to active train members of the UK Brickish Association but the whole style of layout (especially in consistancy of direction) seems different (please note, any Brickish Association members reading this that I am not critisising, and am in no position to do so anyway as I have not contributed anything to the layout, YET) and I was wondering whether a difference in organisation, or maybe the fact that you see each other often (do you?), or perhaps simply national attitudes to model railway building were the cause.

We’ve always had a layout-first-then-build style which has worked most of the time. We decide what things we want to see (member suggestions, pre-built sections, etc) and then piece them together with new things we feel would look cool. As someone who plays SimCity, I like to plan layouts as though they are ‘zoned’ and have geography (for instance rivers and hills).

   PS, one thing tho’, where are all the trains?

They all ran away while I was taking pictures. At one time, thanks to DCC, we had five trains running on two loops of track, with reversing loops for extra carnage. In addition, when I was actually running trains (which was a lot of fun), I wasn’t taking pictures!

Thanks for the kind words!

- Thomas Michon
Webmaster, SCLTC