 Trains / Train Organizations / NCLTC / 26
Re: LEGO & NCLTC @ Lulu Tech Circus in Raleigh, NC 9/27-9/29
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 00:46:30 GMT

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

I took a few pictures of the LEGO booth and our small layout at the LuLu
Tech Circus yesterday.

Hmm, just realized I didn't add any comentary before I hit send on this.

The LuLu Tech Circus is the brain child of Bob Young, the former founder and
CEO of Red Hat.  Red Hat is based here in Raleigh so their inaugural event
was held here.  I'm not sure how I would classify this event although it
definitely has a geek flavor to it.

You can sit down and take an XML class, you can learn Linux device drivers,
you can try out some new gadgets, play the beta version of Ultimate 2003 (or
something like that - not being a gamer, I'm sure it is some variation of
that), and a number of other things.

LEGO has two booths and a classroom set up:

MindStorms and Spybotics:
Educations Products (aka Dacta):
Classroom:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=249961

In the classroom you can sign up to go through the Robolab (or at least a
portion of it).  It is an hour and a half session which is all hands on -
two to a station.  I didn't have the chance to go through it although I'd
like to.  All the sessions I saw yesterday were full.  I don't know about
today though.

Traffic in the MindStorms booth was pretty brisk from opening until about
4:00 or so.  Quite a few kids came in on class field trips.  The Spybotics
stuff seems to work really well and the kids seemed to respond well to it.
However the MindStorms Mayhem seemed to be having some problems with all of
the radio interference.  They would for a while then get kind of flaky.
People seemed to have a good time with them.  Once you get the hang of the
latency in the controls they work pretty well.

The only real downside to the whole show was the lack of AC.  For some
reason the AC wasn't working and it was incredibly hot.  A very hot, humid,
sticky weekend here in North Carolina made for a very long, hot, sweaty day.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com