 Trains / Train Organizations / 655
Re: NCLUG's First Exhibit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 02:05:00 GMT

Mike Walsh <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:Fz24J8.61r@lugnet.com...

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:Fyuu21.6rC@lugnet.com...
Tomorrow afternoon (8/6/00) the North Carolina LEGO Users Group will • exhibit
for the first time.  The display will be set up a stationary caboose • that
belongs to the New Hope Valley Railway in Bonsal, North Carolina (about • 15
miles south of Raleigh).  More details and the planned layout can be • seen
at:  http://www.nclug.net/events/nhvry_000806.htm

I will try and post some pictures tomorrow night.

FUT:  lugnet.org.us.nclug,lugnet.trains.org

Thanks,

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com

This is a little delayed but better late than never.  I was reluctant to
post until I got some pictures uploaded but since I lost my USB cable, • that
has taken a little longer than I expected.

All in all, we had a very successful innaugural exhibit.  The weather was
extremely hot and humid and while we were inside, we did not have any AC • and
the air was not really moving.  Did I say it was hot?  ;-)

We ended up with a series of four tables laid out in an 8'x5' • configuration.
Because we were in a caboose, there was not a lot of room so kids (and
adults) were right up next to the display.  We had a few fingers touching
things but no major issues.  We only had one crash and it was my own • caboose
that hit the floor.  Frank Filz's tanker suffered minor disassembly in the
same incident but I think we have it all back together.

Overall the response was very positive.  The New Hope Valley Railway folks
were pleased that there was an exhibit and that we had a LEGO version of
their train.  They all recognized it so I guess it is a pretty good
representation of it (pictures of just the engine are here:
http://www.nclug.net/members/mw/trains/engines.htm).

We had far more trains than we had time to run so many train cars had
minimal (if any) track time.  We definitely need a bigger space.  While
being in the caboose was kind of neat, August in North Carolina is • probably
not the ideal time of the year to be in a non-air conditioned venue.  We
hope to do one of the train shows in the fall sometime.

Pictures of the exhibit are on both Brickshelf and the NCLUG web site:

NCLUG:  http://www.nclug.net/events/nhvry_000806/index.htm
Brickshelf:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=1041

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com

Thanks for the pictures and the report Mike.  Everything looks good!

Who else was able to be there?  What belongs to whom?  Regret I wasn't able
to be there . . .   [Don't know how much help I would have been - i would
have snuck off to ride the train at some point ;-) ]     How much time did
it take to unload and set up and break down and reload?

sheree