 Trains / Train Organizations / 2256
Re: Mall Show Security
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:52:05 GMT

Cary Clark wrote:
Part of the show's success was undoubtably due to the nature of the mall,
which was probably built in the late 60's or early 70's. No teenagers hang
around there, and my experience was that the mall-goers are more laid-back
and friendly than at more trendy malls. Anyone at the mall was there to see
the display, or shop at Tom's, or one of the other slightly-offbeat stores.
I seldom saw unsupervised kids, just lots of smiling faces. But I wouldn't
have wanted to attempt the show at a upscale mall.

Our mall display was also at a similar mall (though it does get a bit
more teen traffic than South Hills). Of course we were also inside a
lockable store...

One thing that became quickly apparent was that security is pretty
friendly to people who are supposed to be there. If a club was manning a
display, one person could easily wait until the mall was completely
cleared out before leaving.

With an open display, you do still have to trust the security folks
somewhat, but they aren't going to jeopardize their job to steal a
couple toys. If they're going to do an inside job they're going to rob
the jewelry store...

Frank