 Trains / Train Organizations / 2077
2076  |  2078
Subject:
A LOT of containers (GFLTC at NMRA 2002 National Train Show)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:42:34 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Looks like Larry beat me to the post.  Did put this up late last night
and I was not sure when it would pass brickshelf screening.
The GFLTC (aka the two-man show) had a great time at the 2002 NMRA
National Train Show in Fort Lauderdale - themed Tracks in the Sand.
So our layout was themed "Bricks in the Sand"
Kudos to Robin Werner for organizing the event and being part of it.
Show attendance was a super high 22,500+ and broke all attendance
records for Sundays at such events.  Also, we were featured on at
least 2 local TV channels which helped attendance.
For all other clubs contemplating the NMRA NTS (next one in Toronto)
remember this - besides the Thomas the Train play area we were the
only other area that provided some interest for the hordes of kids
that showed up with parents.  I did about 5-6 workshops a day on
Trains, Robotics and Lego Building Tips and it was usually packed
with people.  Also answered so many questions that most days my
voice was talked out at the end of the day.
I will let Robin describe his side of the layout.

My side of the layout featured:
KK's Lego Big Dig with working Tower Crane

KK's One Nakasoni Plaza office building (still some ninja in me)

KK's typical Florida Strip Mall with McDonalds, Publix Grocery Store,
Zany Brainy, State Farm Office
And the battle of the Drugstores - Eckerds and Walgreens

KK's Legoway Country Club and Golf Course and outdoor BBQ

KK's Red Dragon Roller Coaster w 2 slopes and a short helix

Misc Technic and Mindstorms and 2 Spybots and my 2 Chess Sets

About 14 clubs also participated in the ILTCO container swap
and in a lot of the pictures you can see us running 14 container
cars carrying 6 from each club.  Makes for a nice long train.
Thanks to all for participating !  That was fun.
It was a lot of fun at the NMRA show and we generated a lot of
interest.  However, I did miss Brickfest 2002 and missed meeting
a lot of AFOLs and re-meeting some from last year when I was there.
I hope to be at Brickfest 2003 and I promise the NINJA presence
will be there in force !
KK Quah

(as in, the GFLTC/NMRA (national convention) show pics folder is up. Go up
to see all the pics, that's starting in the middle)

Nice work, GFLTC!!

Thanks !
I can hardly wait to get the containers back from the swap! Looks like you
put them to great use!

Thanks to all the clubs who participated in the swap as well. You all rock!