 Trains / Train Organizations / 1918
Re: GFLTC & NGLTC Jacksonville GATS (More pics)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:54:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:
This weekend the GFLTC (Robin, KK) & the NGLTC (James) did a combined
display in Jacksonville Florida, here are a preview of the pictures, the
rest will be displayed when we all return to our home bases. This was a
40x30 layout...on the floor. It was a great way to combine the two layouts
with out having to worry about making tables match up.

jt

As James T. mentioned it was a great time and very interesting to see
up close and personal how other clubs did things at a train show to
get more ideas.
There are repeats in my pics but also lots of new angles on things.
Also, at the end of this post, I list some arguments for a floor
layout if other groups have not tried it.
Here are some highlights that are my favs:
Here's the top level view:

Overview shot of the size of the display (90% completed)

Robin Werner's SD-80 MAC next to an "N" scale one for comparison

Interiors of my Publix Store, Pizza restaurant, State Farm and Zainy Brainy

A 12 yr old visitor John made a train for us to run on the layout

The whole crew (KK, Robin, James)

Here's some advantages of a floor layout
1.  Less issues with table matches from different clubs (see James above)
2.  More Lego to haul, less tables to haul (esp for long distance)
3.  Parents and kids like it.  No lifting of kids to see layout.
4.  No confined to width of table for layout.  Adds another dimension.

For floor layouts, I recommend the following
1.  Bring a Wet Swiffer or something to quick mop the floor  AND/OR
2.  Bring fabric to cover areas in use (bargain fabric goes about $2/yd)
3.  Leave non-covered lanes for accessibility to models
4.  Simple rope barriers are enough.  Some unwanted incursions happened but
    all were taken care of by respective parents.

KK Quah