 Trains / 9885
9884  |  9886
Subject:
Restored Abt railway opens
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:19:29 GMT

Hi all.

I know this isn't really Lego related, but I just heard on the news that the
first half of the Abt railway was opened last week. The track runs from
Queenstown to Strahan on the west coast of Tasmania (Australia), and is famous
for it's unique rack system for negotiating the steep grades (up to 1 in 16).
You can read more about the railway at
http://www.geocities.com/bilmac.geo/rail.htm (and many other places!)

The section completed is from Queenstown to Rinadeena, and contains the
steepest sections of track. For you steam buffs (and trains buffs in general),
it's right up there with Puffing Billy and the Zig Zag Railway. I'll certainly
be checking it out next time I'm in Tassie!

Regards,

ROSCO