 Trains / 9734
Re: Train building contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 06:06:06 GMT

In lugnet.build, Mark Staffa writes:
I was just wondering if there had been any discussion about the use of
trademark names.  by this I mean - say I wanted to build a Conrail
Locomotive, or a Pennsylvania RR passanger car, or a box car with a product
name on it.  Would this be allowed?

For non-commercial uses, there doesn't seem to be a real problem. I think the
railroad companies are pretty amenable (after all, it's really an honor to be
modeled). I have no idea what the commercial companies do for the decals or
lettered models they sell.

It's an interesting question how to handle models. I'm not sure if the laws
handle that at all. Trademarks aren't the only things models could run afoul
(1) of. Copyrights may occaisionally apply. Design patents could apply (do the
locomotive manufacturers get design patents on their body designs?. It's even
possible for real patents to apply (for example, take the Shay drive train, if
that was still protected by patent, a model which duplicated that drive [of
which the MDC Shay is the ONLY commercial Shay model I am aware of which
DOESN'T use the sidewinder drive train to deliver power from the motor to the
wheels] would likely run into a patent or two or three).

Frank

(1) you've got to also be carefull not to foul points, run over chickens, or
anything else like that... :-) :-) :-)