 Trains / 9711
Re: Technic Tank Treads/Coveyer belt!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:00:38 GMT

In lugnet.dacta, Matt Agnew writes:
Anyone made conveyor belts from these?  I'm working on one for my train layout.

I did. For a partly horizontal / partly low sloped section that I used to
transport the goods away from unther the track and out of the dumping bin,
I've made a kind of track from pairs of the old 4,5V/12V rails with a 2
studs wide gap between them. The tread links fit between those rails,
sliding over the flanges. This prevents the conveyor belt from bulging out
downwards when there is a load on it. There is no room to fix a brick on the
links in this configuration, so it works only for horizontal/low sloped
sections where there is enough friction between the belt and the cargo.

On the other hand, an advantidge of this type of belt is that you don't have
to drag a brick through a big pile of pallets that your hopper just has
dumped into the bin. The friction based transport empties the bin with less
force and a more even distribution. You can employ a kind of "scraping bar"
at the exit of the bin to limit and level the outflow rate.

At the end of my "horizontal" beld the load was passed trough on a steep
beld with pusing bricks that covered the vertical distance.

I'm using 1x3 bricks every 10 links or so - they fit perfectly right over one
link.  You do have to be careful that there is a constant sidewall all the way
around the path of the 1x3, otherwise it catches on the edge as it's going
past.

Or you could guide the 1x3's in with a pair 3063 Brick  2 x  2 Corner Round
http://img.lugnet.com/ld3063.gif

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen,