 Trains / 9699
Re: MOC: first 8-wide diesel moc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:02:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Hey Mike-

Nice job on the 8 wide!  I like the turned sideways doors for front windows.
I am trying to think of an all green line, and the closest I can come to is
BN, which was actually black on top.  So, you could convert all of your green
on top to black and have extra green for length...

Also, you should decide how wide you want to make your body-- 4 wide is prolly
easiest, although a little narrow for proto.  6 is a bit wide; 5 is about
right, but a hassle to model:-/  One thing is for sure-- you should leave a
walk way which extends all along the side of the loco, except for the cab.
Some BNs had covered walkways, and so the loco was full width all the way down
to the end (to eliminate the accumulation of snow).

Not only BN ran these (named F45, FP45), and the walkway isn't covered for
that reason.  Wisconsin Central has the most right now, but the marron &
gold is hard to model.  Here are 3 pictures of BN F45's:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel30.html

Now this locomotive has one to cover from snow:
(soory, couldn't find one yet, i'll reply if i do)

Josh

But all in all, a very nice effort.  At least you got the overall width
correct;-D

-John

Mike Knuepfel wrote:

this is my first try at making an 8- wide diesel train.  Ran a little short
on green. I think it needs to be a little longer.

enjoy!   any feedback appreciated!

-Mike Knuepfel