 Trains / 9698
Re: MOC: first 8-wide diesel moc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:31:04 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Hey Mike-

Nice job on the 8 wide!  I like the turned sideways doors for front windows.
I am trying to think of an all green line, and the closest I can come to is
BN, which was actually black on top.  So, you could convert all of your green
on top to black and have extra green for length...

Also, you should decide how wide you want to make your body-- 4 wide is prolly
easiest, although a little narrow for proto.  6 is a bit wide; 5 is about
right, but a hassle to model:-/  One thing is for sure-- you should leave a
walk way which extends all along the side of the loco, except for the cab.
Some BNs had covered walkways, and so the loco was full width all the way down
to the end (to eliminate the accumulation of snow).

But all in all, a very nice effort.  At least you got the overall width
correct;-D

-John

Mike Knuepfel wrote:

this is my first try at making an 8- wide diesel train.  Ran a little short
on green. I think it needs to be a little longer.

enjoy!   any feedback appreciated!

-Mike Knuepfel

I agree with what John had to say. But this seems like as good a place as any to
say that I came up with another way to do 5-wide hoods.

Instead of using 1x2-tiles-with-center-stud plates I have started using technic
beams. The beams are good because they can add some extra support, and you can
do a half stud offset by placing two of the pins of a 1x4 brick IN the studs of
the technic beam. So, two technic beams run the length of the engine, and on the
beam there are 1x4 bricks that alternate 0.5 stud sticking of one side and 1.5
studs sticking of the other side. Some 1x4's don't work and some do. Check the
bottom of the 1x4 brick for plastic that goes all the way across, the short way
across, the middle of the brick; those are the bricks that don't work.

By the way, I got this idea when someone was mentioned that 1x1 technic bricks
were important for doing offset work. I am not exactly certain about what the
author of that comment intended, but if it is what I am doing then thanks for
the idea.

Chris
--
See my LEGO creations at