 Trains / 9492
Re: O Winston Link passed away
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 02:37:44 GMT

I dont know for sure but didnt Winston pass away a long time ago.  In MR
there was an article about him in '98 and said he had died.

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:

I can scan some of Link's photos if anyone would like, they are in some
model railroad magazines.  I think he only too B&W's too.
Josh

Nope.  He did take some colour photos.  However, the vast majority of the night
photographs are black and white photographs.   I think that you probably
shouldn't go wildly scanning in his images, because people get mad when you go
doing that (and I know, yes, the books are available through the library...).

I own a copy of (somewhat mistitled) "The Last Steam Railroad in America", and
would say put it on a xmas wish list.  (it's not my favorite railway book, I
perfer Tal y lyn Railway, by JIC Boyd myself), but it does have some wonderful
photographs.

I say somewhat mistitled, because it most certanly was not even the last all
steam show in the US, I think the honors go to one of the western or southern
logging railways.

I dont think so, on my latest trip to Alaska we stopped at Skagway (where
the yukon gold rush was started)  And there is a working steam engine that
is used to haul commercial goods to Whitehorse (which is right across the
border in Canada)  It works as a commercial train not a tourist train
(atleast thats what they said i dont know about anybody else's adventurers
to Skagway)  I took some pictures of the railway but not of the steam engine
(it was up in Whitehorse at the time of my visit) I have some really cool
shots of the train coming up the mountian side and some pictures of a Swiss
electric train thingy majig (dont know what it is called) in the valley. But
besides that i think i can say that is the oldest commercially running steam
locomotive ITS STILL RUNNING TODAY! Of course we all know about the
Greenfield village trains in Dearborn (for us Michiganders) Those arent
commercial.

Well any way thats my insight of course you guys dont really read my stuff
so  :Þ

kai

Here in Canada, the honor goes (probably) to Kirkfield
Quarry, in Ontario.

James P