 Trains / 9443
Re: Working brakes for Lego trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:26:42 GMT

Ah.  Very neat.  But, do you have a way of triggering it automatically if
the train starts to run away down a slope?

Didn't need to, like retainers on a real train, the whole thing was set into
action before hand.  I suppose, one could use a rcx with the rotation sensor to
sense the speed of the train, and apply the brakes in proportion to the speed
of the train.  I don't think it would work all that well though, because of the
size of the RCX (set up for 6-8 wide, not 8-10 wide).  But, hey, the idea is
now out there, someone will have a play I am sure.  One of the things I would
recommend is to ballast the brake van with some weight.  I use pennies, because
they are cheap and available.

(suggestion for sensor is to build it into the snowplow arrangement, perhaps
sped up to give a more accurate reading)

James