 Trains / 9316
  LEGO element fonts

Slightly off topic I was thinking about LEGO fonts since building these stores. It seems that a 3x3 grid including slopes seems to work reasonably. The addition of plates and there is a lot od flexability. Any ideas on the topic? SteveB (23 years ago, 23-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO element fonts

(...) Well at one point I quickly through together an Alphabet out of LEGO. All are 5 high and average about 5 wide. I agree that some characters look good at smaller sizes. Some letters like "S" really need to be 5 high for clarity if you are only (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO element fonts

That's so cool! I think I'll do that as well for the 3x3. As for the hanging in mid air, I have my lettering raise (pushed out) by 1 stud. The slopes are 1 stud deep and are placed in front of the backgroud "wall". The rectangular bricks 2 are studs (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO element fonts

(...) Tricky - slopes can only be used in front of a surface, not embedded in a wall (not without leaving gaps). Using bricks and plates embedded in a wall is another option, but the problem here is that horizontal lines can be thin, but vertical (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO element fonts

(...) (23 years ago, 23-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO element fonts

I think you can study from dot metric LED, for example, 5x7 dot metrics, basically use 1x1 bricks, maybe use 1x2 sloped bricks in corner, so that you got the same size letters. Zhengrong (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO element fonts

(...) Better yet, use the 'Small Fonts' font in Windows, then pick the point size for the height of letters required in pixels. 'Small Fonts' is actually a set of custom-designed fonts at precise pixel heights, unlike the True-Type fonts (e.g. (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)