 Trains / 9278
Re: Warning: Train Motor Stress Cracking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 07:42:10 GMT

Brian Williams wrote:

Warning:

At a get together last weekend I again noticed something on one of my
locomotives that first appeared in 1999: stress cracking of the lower clips
on the 9v train motor ends.  These clips normally retain the bottom of the
train coupler/buffer element.  I, however, used them to attach a 1x4 brick
in a tender design.  The clips failed because they are designed to accept
the coupler/buffer element which has a slightly thinner wall thickness than
a standard brick.

In response, I'm taking apart all my locomotives which use this design and
filing the inside wall of the 1x4 slightly so as to provide a little "play"
against the motor clips.  I strongly recommend that anyone else using the 9v
train motor in this way do the same.

Stress cracking, as many of you are aware, can be a major problem for some
ABS Lego elements.  Typical cases include minifig arms at the "cuff",
minifig legs at the "ankle", shutter hinges, and the old 12v 2x8 dark grey
train track plates where they attach to the rails.  What's unusual about the
9v train motor clips is that they failed after being assembled for only 4
years, whereas these other elements typically take 8-10 years for stress
cracking to appear.

- Brian Williams

LEGO designs use standard bricks into them little clips. I don't see that it's
an issue. Unless they are putting a lot of pressure onto them.

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html