 Trains / 9236
Re: Cleaning 9V track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:54:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ahui Herrera writes:
I recently unpacked some of my 9V track I had in storage and noticed that
some of the track has little orange specks on it.  It looked like rust.  Has
anyone ever seen this on their track?  If so, how do I clean it and keep
this from happening again?  Can I use the same cleaning methods that hobby
railroader use to clean their track?

Thanks
Ahui

Ahui,
When (and if) I store my track, I'll put them into ziplock bags and flatten
them to get rid of as much air as possible. I'd also store them in a dry
place free of humidity. if necessary place those 'filters' that one renews
by baking in the oven (to dry the 'crystals'). I don't know the exact term
for these. Also, I have been using a product called Rail-Zip (manufactured
by Pacer Technologies) to keep my track clean. Be careful not to get this
stuff into your train motors, it really kills the traction and the
electrical pickup. But you should find this in any well-stocked hobby shop.
-Harvey