 Trains / 9209
Re: Pics (and prog) of my Train Crossing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:08:30 GMT

Wow, the avi really sells it! The gates are nice and slow!

I'd reverse the position of the sensors relative to the crossing, so that
the arms lower much earlier, then raise right after the train is through.
Much more prototype. Half the fun of a crossing gate in real life (and
rarely modeled on layouts) is the anticipation after the gates lower, but
before the train arrives.

Slowing the train down a notch or two would also help the effect. (But I
think that's true of any model train. <g>)

Nice work. I'll be interested in the mechanics of the gates when you get
time to post them.

Rick Clark

In lugnet.trains, Dean Husby writes:
I was waiting until our new VLC page is finished but it's looking to be
taking a very long time to complete.

So, since some of you asked about this I'll post the pics and avi to the
web in raw format.

http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/temppics/traincrossing/

Shows 4 pictures and one ~900k avi of it in action.

<snip>

Dean