 Trains / 9137
  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) A slug runs off the excess current produced by the unit it is mated to. Slugs are used in low-speed service such as switching in a yard, where tractive effort is more important than speed. The vast majority of slugs are old locomotives cut (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) OK, so I'm not crazy (not legally, anyway! ;-) I only saw them in a large yard, in Edmonton, near the airport. Never on the roads...and I don't think I ever saw a 'real' "B" unit before the pictures I saw today. (In the SF Bay Area, I'm on one (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)