 Trains / 9136
  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) I'm not sure what CN units you're referring to. (...) No. If they're cut down, they're definitely slugs. Slugs don't need the prime mover, radiator, blowers, dynamic brake vents and cooling fans, etc., since they've been castrated. This GP60B (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) A slug runs off the excess current produced by the unit it is mated to. Slugs are used in low-speed service such as switching in a yard, where tractive effort is more important than speed. The vast majority of slugs are old locomotives cut (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) OK, so I'm not crazy (not legally, anyway! ;-) I only saw them in a large yard, in Edmonton, near the airport. Never on the roads...and I don't think I ever saw a 'real' "B" unit before the pictures I saw today. (In the SF Bay Area, I'm on one (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)