 Trains / 8799
Re: Another Christmas Train: The Santa Express
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun.holiday, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 20:10:38 GMT

Greg Perry wrote:

Season's Greetings Fellow LEGO-Fans!

I saw Adrian's post the other day about the Christmas Train that he had
built and it inspired me to get mine finished.  I finally finished it a few
days ago and have it now set up under our table-top tree.  Today I made a
video of the train from which I captured a few still pictures.

They're posted on Brickshelf at:

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=2359

I built the Santa Express using my 4559 set as the base (the only LEGO train
I own).  In addition to the engine there is a car that contains the Elves'
Workshop.  This car also carries Santa's Sleigh on top.  The other car is
Santa's House - a little big for a traditional caboose but hey, Santa's a
big guy!

This was my first attempt at building a train from scratch.  I'm pretty
happy with it except that the engine is dwarfed (or is that elved?) by the
cars. Next time I'll go seeking some building tips from other train folks.

Nice work, Greg!  I like a lot of the details-- lights, wreaths, etc.  Though
it seems, however, that you have already picked up the most valuable building
tip you could get -- to build your train 8 wide!!  {:^D

As an aside, trains which run around the Christmas tree are such a tradition--
I wonder why TLC never made a Christmas train set for the major retailers to
sell every holiday season? Instead, they make the stores stock up on generic
trains at Christmas time which don't sell well, and then the stores end up
dumping them afterwards for a loss (not that I'm complaining about $34.97 4561s
after Christmas mind you...;)

-John

Happy Holidays to all!

Greg