 Trains / 8676
For RCXers: More sensors and stuff (Warning: $$$)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 11:45:24 GMT

Hello all,

The recent thread about the reed switch used as a train detector
reminded me that there are some new elements available for people
playing with RCXs. I'm sure they've been discussed in the robotics
groups, but I thought I'd mention them here, since they're kind of cool.
I don't know how many of them would be applicable to a train layout
either, so if the following info is useful, please read. Otherwise, skim
and/or ignore.

The last Pitsco/LEGO/Dacta catalog I got was back at the beginning of
the year, but it had some stuff in it that surprised me.

On page 49 was the "New, exclusive" LEGO solar cell (# D979912)) for
$35. The most intruiging thing about it was that the description said
that it was "Specially designed to meet LEGO quality standards..." Does
this imply that it was designed by someone other than LEGO? It has LEGO
branding on it, including the word LEGO on each stud. Interesting. Size
is approximately 16x12x2 high.

On the same page was a LEGO capacitor (# D979916) for $15. Same look.
Green and clear. 4x4x2 high, with an additional 2x2x2 high cylinder
protruding up from one corner.

Then, on page 11, were seven DCP brand sensors, with LEGO adapter. The
sensors are VERY expensive, but the fact that they're available is quite
interesting. The sensors sense Humidity ($179), Air Pressure ($135),
Motion ($95), Extended Temperature ($49), Sound ($75), pH ($75), and
Voltage ($49). Plus, you can get all seven for a mere $625 (!). Also,
you need the adapter ($53.75) for each sensor you want to use at the
same time. The sensors all appear sort of similar: a small silver tube
of sorts, looks like about one to two inches long, by about half an inch
wide.

So anyway, even if none of these sensors is relevant to a train layout,
the fact that they exist provokes a couple questions relevant to train
heads. Especially since we've discussed adapting Kaydee couplers to
LEGO, and creating custom track shapes.

  -- How did DCP get permission from LEGO to make officially compatible
elements.

  -- Does some other non-LEGO company have authorization and ability to
create (what must be) little tiny runs of really specialized parts, like
the solar cell and the capacitor?

Something to think about.

Rick Clark