 Trains / 8437
Re: Lifespan of a motor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:31:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

Christopher Lindsey wrote:

Having just acquired my first LEGO trains last month, I'm concerned about keeping
them happy and healthy.

I'd like to have the trains run at low speed for an extended period of time (like
an hour or so),

lol We at the GMLTC have run trains for 5+ hour stretches and the motors run like
champs.  Sometimes on longer trains they poop out and we give them a rest.  That's
all they seem to need.  The motors are well designed to run for long periods
I too have been running the motors in extended periods of time, but it has
always been at full speed. Have you been running them for lengthy periods at
very low speed with a PWM controller? This is an issue since some motors
have a tendency to run hot if they have to run at low speed for a long time
(something almost only trainfolk does:)) Having easy access to the parts I
would probably build another controller (not PWM) thus placing the heat in
the controller (just to make sure)

Actually the best motor controllers are found amongst train folks, since
this is a big issue for them. One day I might even become one myself:)

regards John