 Trains / 8392
Re: Steel Industry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:28:17 GMT

If I can fill in any blanks?? Please e-mail.. I work in a smelter.

I have had this on my mind for a long time, just have not gotten creative to
put something together. It would be a great idea.. I think you have to think
big if you decide to go all out and build this..!!

Most smelters have the same principals in place although a lot of different
processes are involved.

Regards

Dave

"kai brodersen" <cbrodersen@mediaone.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
In lugnet.trains, Kai Brodersen writes:
I was working on my HO model railroad yesterday when a thought came into
mind.  Steel Industry.  As large as a steel plant is, it would be a
marvelous model with a huge amount of space and bricks required.
    Has anyone actually modeled a steel plant with all of its • componenets(
i work on my HO to much) The coke ovens(coke is the product when one • burning
coal with out any oxygen) , the blast furnace, electric furnace, rolling
mills, ore yard, coke cars, slag cars, hot metal cars...... and this • list
goes on.
I will be attempting to build one for the upcoming train show MICHLTC is
attending.  I just wanted to know if anyone has done it before.
thanks
kai

Well the Blast furnace as a HO model is about 27 1/2" by 10 1/4".  So • since
lego is about O, and HO is half of O.  Just the blast furnace would • measure
4 by 2 feet(27x2 by 10x2)  THATS BIG, and thats just one component of the
whole shabang!
Well it would be amazing.  I am going to try.
kai

I cannot think that anyone has.  I don't have the area to do even a • decent
impression of one (esp. not with everything else I have :).  I do have a
working coal unloader (that might help), and I guess if you have HO • models, you
have photos from the Walters steelmill (although I don't know how big it
was...still...

You could fill a decent sized lot with a Lego scale steelmill.  At even • 1-35th,
it would be huge!  I know my port is nothing small (about 16 sq. ft), but • it
would be absolotely dwarfed by a decent scale steel mill-even with • MASSIVE
compression.

(For some ideas, my coal mine occupies about 4x2 ft space, and is
multi-leveled, the container yard is 7x2, and the port is about 4x4 • ft-much
undersize)

James