 Trains / 8153
Re: Is it possible to make trains in automation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 02:07:14 GMT

Well, I'm looking at a slightly different method. And please note I have no
train stuff yet, so none of this has been tried, and isn't likely to be soon...

First, I split the layout into "sections" by isolating between track pieces.
Then I write a program that acts like a "signalman" - this runs on a PC, not a
RCX, and controls all points and "signals" which will be IR transmitters. I'll
probably build my own rather than buying Lego IR towers, due to cost. The
"signals" work like real signals, broadcasting 1 of 3 "states". They'd also
probably transmit an ID, so the train knows which signal it's talking to.

Then to the trains. Each would have an RCX watching for "signals", and
adjusting speed as necessary. I'd probably also have some bar-code type scheme,
so I could put bar-codes between the tracks, to identify important positions
(stations, approaches, etc) so the train can stop accurately. This would need a
light sensor on each train pointing down.

The down-side(s):

1. There's a lot of non-Lego involved;
2. The RCX would need to be at the front of the train, so it could "see" the
"signals". This may not lead to realistic looking trains...
3. I need a reliable way of determining when a train is in a particular
section. I'll probably experiment with light sensors, or measuring voltage
across tracks (remember power is coming from RCX). Problems where a train spans
multiple sections.
4. Trains can only go forward. I was thinking about having a system of linking
2 engines back-to-back (possibly with cars between), and having them
co-operate, but my head nearly blew up....

This is all really just thoughts right now, as I'm currently concentrating on
some technic projects (http://www.lugnet.com/~469), and I don't have much spare
time, but maybe it'll give someone else some ideas.

Regards,

ROSCO

In lugnet.trains, Ahui Herrera writes:
You could do this with the freight loading tain set and a couple of
mindstorm RCX blocks.  I already have an RCX controlling my trains and doing
collision avoidance.  The code can be easily modified to slow dows/stop at
the freight station.  You would have to motorized the cranes (at least two
motors: one to sping the crane and one for raiseing/lowering goods) and have
another RCX control them.  Now with two RCX they could "talk" to each other
to see if the train is in station and ready for freight to be
loaded/unloadd.  This can be done, but the cost is what may get you.  You
are talking $200 for one minstrom set + ~120 for another RCX block.  Net you
need at least two motors (~30 each so that is 60) plus around 4+ light
sensors, 2+ rotational sensors (that's another ~125) add that up and you are
talking about $525 for most hardware.  Say $600 becuase you might need extra
parts to modify cranes, extending cables to RCX, etc.  So as you can see it
can get quite expensive.

Ahui

In lugnet.trains, Zhengrong Zang writes:
I am buying train sets at the moment, I haven't seen any automation
train sets, I mean train will move automatically, it will be in high
speed when leaving station, slow speed and stop when near and arrive
station, it can avoid oppsite train in sider, crane will put goods into
wagon when wagon stop at the station, wagon moves after finishing
Is there any such MOC?

Zhengrong