 Trains / 607
606  |  608
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Subject:
DCC Survey Results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:05:07 GMT

Not exactly a huge response, but here are the results...

Level[1]  Replies
0         0
1         0
2         2
3         8
4         6
5         3
          19 total

There is certainly some interest but maybe not enough to justify getting a
batch of PCBs commercially manufactured for the encoder/controller, the cost
per unit would be too high for such a short run [2]. This would restrict the
project to people who make their own prototypes (on preprinted stripboard like
I do) or make their own PCBs. Or if someone is prepared to make up a batch of
PCBs by hand it would be restricted to however many boards that person is
willing to make.

As for the decoders (that go in the LEGO motor units) I think I'm going to
drop the idea of making them and go with commercially available decoders for N-
scale trains, assuming there is a suitable one available.

The cost of the system (i.e. just the parts, you build/install it yourself)
would be about $100 for the encoder and less than $20 per locomotive.

Matt

[1]
0. I think it's a silly idea.
1. Yes it's interesting but I'm happy with standard LEGO trains.
2. If I could buy it ready-made and it was cheap, I might get it.
3. I want one ready-made, price not an issue (within reason).
4. I want one and I'm prepared to put it together myself.
5. I want one and I want to help develop the project.

[2] I could be wrong, I don't really know how much is charged for PCB
manufacturer.