 Trains / 6062
Re: Cutting 12V track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 17:41:43 GMT

Reporting my 'Cutting' experience:

Thanks for the advice Wayne.

I used a Dremel MultiPro variable speed rotary tool with a cut off wheel
#540.  Cutting through the metal worked great!  The cutter sliced through it
like a knife.  I was careful to heed Wayne's warning by stopping frequently to
let the rail cool off.  While cutting through the metal I experienced no
plastic melt.  Cutting through the plastic however could have gone a bit
better.  According to my Dremel manual cut off wheel #540 is recommended for
metals and plastics so I though I would use the same wheel for both.  The
plastic seemed to quickly melt rather then be cut.  The good news is the piece
didn't melt to the point of distorting the piece beyond use :)  Due to the
melting the cut isn't as straight as I would have liked but it certainly will
work.

In hindsight:
The cut would have been cleaner if I hand a flexible wand for the Dremel - due
to the shape of the tool it was difficult to achieve a vertical cut into the
piece.  I think the next time I try this I will use something else to cut the
plastic.  Something with less speed and heat - maybe a band saw with very
narrow teeth.  I would also build a jig to hold the cutting edge at a precise
8 stud distance.  As it was my cut was about 2mm off center.

-Chris

In lugnet.trains, Wayne Sardullo writes:
I personally have never done it with a 12v conductor, however I did cut and
paste (if you will) 9v track,  If lego is important to you as it is to me go • out
and get yourself a nice little dremel tool, with metal cutting wheel. When you
begin to cut through the conductor you must be carful not to heat up the metal
to fast of the plastic will MELT!. I would avoid a Hacksaw, the teeth are to
course for what you want to do.

Hope this helps
Wayne

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Callahan writes:
Can someone please give me advice as to the best way to cut 12V track -
conductor rails and all.  I'm in the process of designing a layout that
requires an 8 stud long straight section of track.

I've never purposefully marred a brick before so I am a bit reluctant.  I • want
to get it right the first time, especially since LEGO stopped making these
pieces some ten years ago.

-Chris