 Trains / 5848
Re: Monorail switch track repair question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2000 03:31:19 GMT

I received two switching pieces in a recent eBay auction. They were severely
damaged by sand and dirt which virtually made the switch un-switchable. In
fact there were signs of damage where the sled was unable to move the
switching pin and caused the motor gear to eat all of the teeth off of the
rail.
    Bad news is, I couldn't clean it externally. So I tried to get inside to
clean it. Didn't work either. Unlike the train 9V switching rails, the
monorail switch is glued together to stay together. The only way to open it
is by breaking the pieces that hold it together. If your interested I can
post pictures of the result. It may give you a idea of what you will face if
you try to open it.
    Oh, and to finish the story, even thought I had the whole thing apart
and cleaned it, the sliding levers still do not function smoothly enough for
the motor and sled to switch them. I decided not to ruin the second switch,
the way I did the first, and use it as a permanent straight piece. I think
that is the only solution.
    (And if anyone is interested, I would be willing to lend this broken
piece to anyone who would like to make the Ldraw part.)

-Nick

James <jamescf@sprynet.com> wrote in message news:FuH6IA.IsA@lugnet.com...
I have a pair of monorail switches that don't move well. I have new ones • and
know how they should work. Is it possible to open up one of the switches
without damaging it?

I was about to try, but decided to seek expert advise from one of you • before
I do something I may regret.

Thank you!

James