 Trains / 5303
  Re: Proof of a Hoax? (was: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn)

There's something that has been bothering me with those pictures of automated points and I finally realized what it is. The power connectors to drive the switching motor are connected to both parts of the point. One is attached to the straight part (...) (24 years ago, 31-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

Andreas Stabno <stabno@megsinet.net> wrote in message news:FsAv72.EDJ@lugnet.com... (...) automated (...) parts (...) the (...) from (...) connections? The outside rails are always live (while there's power being applied to the track) - the inner (...) (24 years ago, 31-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Proof of a Hoax? (was: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn)

(...) Yes, Huw, that is correct. However, why not have internal metal wires in the point? I would think it easier to make it so that the take off was from within the tie bar than to have the external connection. However, I would view it as entirely (...) (24 years ago, 31-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Proof of a Hoax? (was: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn)

James Powell <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message news:FsB2pJ.JJ9@lugnet.com... (...) clear. (...) No, it will NOT CLEAR. It is on the "other side" in regards to being before the switch, but it is on the curved side instead of the (...) (24 years ago, 31-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 6 vs. 8 wide?

(...) But what a nice dilemma to have! (I'd vote for 8-wide trains...) John Neal is too busy building *14* wide "G" scale cars... ;-) JohnG, GMLTC (24 years ago, 31-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 6 vs. 8 wide?

I realize that, but what if the simple installation of an automatic point makes clearance of 8-wide trains impossible? Do we then not allow the remote points on 8 wide layouts? What about layouts that are 6 wide, but will connect to 8 wide train (...) (24 years ago, 31-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Proof of a Hoax? (was: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn)

(...) Traditional model railways with DCC control have required the 'self-isolating' points to be hard-wired so that there is power to both rails on both tracks at all times. This is of course to allow not only movement of trains independant of the (...) (24 years ago, 31-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Proof of a Hoax? (was: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn)

(...) No. this is exactly where you would have to connect. The outer rails are unswitched (think about it, they have no points in them, they're unbroken. If this is a hoax, the hoaxer got this right. ++Lar (24 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Proof of a Hoax? (was: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn)

(...) parts (...) within (...) Yes, or that they have solved how to retrofit this mechanism to existing points, or that they wanted to reuse the tooling for the current points ties and subplate. Or that it's a hoax. To people that think I am not (...) (24 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Proof of a Hoax? (was: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn)

(...) distance (...) Lar and others: The 8 wides WILL hit that box going through points. My DD40 cannot spur off on a set of points unless the actual yellow point switch is removes, as it ovehangs on the inside of the curve by too much. The box is (...) (24 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Proof of a Hoax? (was: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn)

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes: Note, I will speak of a hypothetical remote control switch which just happens to resemble something posted which may or may not be a hoax and which may or may not be OK to talk about. (...) Sigh. Well one (...) (24 years ago, 2-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)