 Trains / 5089
Re: Just how sturdy are your trains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 23:04:39 GMT

James

The  wire is for the light that is behind the 1x1 clear rounds[1]. I had[2] it
wired so that a LEGO wire coming from the working engine, an engine with a
motor, would connect to an electric plate at the back of the dummy, SD40-2,
engine. The electric plate was connected via that wire to a miniblub from
RadioShack which is hidden inside the technic 1x2 brick which holds the 1x1
clear round plates in place.

Chris

[1] It may look like one 1x1 round clear plate, but is it two 1x1 clear round
plates stacked on atop the other.

[2] I scavenged the electric plates so that both of my trolleys could have
lights. I will be buying more electric plates so I can "relight" the SD40-2.

"James J. Trobaugh" wrote:

Christopher,

Just a quick question kind of off the subject. But on your pictures of your
SD40-2 there were some black and red wires
(http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/Engine%20gallery/EMD_SD40_2/bulge
.htm). What are those for?

James

Christopher Masi wrote in message
<38DB335C.B5F154D@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu>...
Let me say that this is NOTmeant to be derogatory in any way.

I just checked out Ben's "a Baltimore and Ohio Royal Blue 2-6-2 steam
engine"

http://www.geocities.com/ben_fleskes/royalblue.jpg

and it got me thinking. Ben used a stud forward building technique along
the length of the engine, and I wondered to myself, "If the engine were
picked up by that section would it break?"

The better looking my models get the more frgile they become. I could
grab my early engines and rolling stock from any where without fear, but
I have to be mor careful with my better  stuff

My SD40-2

http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/Engine%20gallery/EMD_SD40_2/emd_s • d40-2.htm

can only be safely grabbed right below the radiator bubble, luckily, the
radiator bubble is right in the middle of the train. Grab any farther
forward and you will knock out the blower housing, and any farther back
you risk ripping the doors off.

My car carrier (which I am happy to say I was able to finish thanks to
MA12 [1]. It looks great, but there are no new pictures yet.)

http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/rolling%20stock/rolling_stock.htm

cannot really be grabbed anywhere since the plates are only half
connected.

So, what do you do when you go to a show. Make certain that everyone
knows the weak spots and hope for the best, only run your fraglie models
yourself, or throw caution to the wind and let your fellow LTCers or
LUGers go wild without any advice?

Just thinking out loud,
Christopher

[1] Now all I need is 150 more 1x4 gray plates and I can put my monorail
back together.