 Trains / 4887
Re: Future Wild West Possibilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western, lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:03:56 GMT

James Simpson wrote:

In lugnet.western, Gary R. Istok writes:

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

deciding what sets get released in the future.  Like I said, I'd definitely
support any movement to get lego to release a western-themed trainset (even
stormtroopers for that matter), but I want to see more of a commitmenttowards
making it happen from my fellow Lego users.

I saw a picture on a site of a brilliant western display made by TLG, with a
western train, that looks just perfect (the engine does anyway). It would probobly
sell like hotcakes with train fals, who want better trains and also with WW fans,
who want a western style train.

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com

I'm not a LEGO Train buff, but I can certainly appreciate the old western style
trains.  That is because my all time favorite LEGO model set is #396 Thatcher Perkins
(1863) locomotive.  It is built to a larger scale than the normal LEGO trains.  It has
the feel and look of an old time western train.  I have this set, and even built a
coal tender and 1800's passenger car to the same scale (but using the 2x2 smaller red
spoked wheels).

Gary Istok

I noticed that 396 has yellow macaroni bricks...those have to be extremely rare,
no?

Well yes and no.  Macaroni Bricks have always been rather scarce, but I still think they
make yellow ones in recent sets.

The 396 also has blue macaroni bricks.  But the scarce stuff are the red 6 large and 4
small spoked wheels (I think the going rate in EBAY on the red large spoked wheels is about
$15-20 per pair).  There are 6 red arches (4) 1x6 and (2) 1x4.   There are also (2) 1x4 red
fence gates, (3) 2x2 yellow windows, (3) 1x1 fat minifig yellow rounds (without any faces
or holes in the top), a bunch of large black plates, a lot of 1x1 rounds in black, yellow
and blue, and a fair number of regular slopes in red, blue and especially black.  The true
rare pieces in this set are the (1) 2x2 black spoked train wheel (for above the cow
catcher) and (2) pair of the piston/rod/tie bars used for the large spoked wheels.  If one
had all these spare pieces, one could build these from scratch.  :-)

Gary Istok