 Trains / 4535
  Train engine transmission

(This article is about the mechanics of train engines, not necessarily related to the LEGO train line. I hope to learn what I need to know if I'm going to build a train engine in LEGO some day, though, so I hope this is enough to justify posting the (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train engine transmission

(...) I can't answer everything here, but will spit out some information... The rod coupling works very well with steam engines for the reasons you surmised. The flexing issues due to curves and bumps are almost nil. This is not the case in (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train engine transmission

(...) Yes, there are several examples of Diesel-mechanical shunters (US=switchers) on which the only powered axle has no whells at all but is simple linked to the drive wheels via these rods Modern (...) You also see Diesel-Electric shunters with (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train engine transmission

(...) Yes, and there is more of a reason to it than that. It only takes getting the holes the right distance apart once, vs making gears. Another factor is the physical size of the connecting cardinal shaft required. For a "average" steam engine, (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train engine transmission

(...) I'd _love_ to see that engine...all you are hearing is the Turbocharger for the Diesel engine spooling up...which, is in effect, a turbine, but it is not powering the train :) The last Turbine powered engines were the UP's 8500HP monsters, and (...) (25 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)