 Trains / 4284
4283  |  4285
Subject:
Is it OK to use new parts for old sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 17:30:38 GMT

Hello everybody,

I recently left my "dark ages" after 20 years of LEGO abstinence discovering
that all of the nice things for LEGO-Trains I couldn't afford as a kid are now
highly-desired relicts from the past (12V trains, electric points, signals and
so on). Fortunately there is E-Bay...

Now I spend many hours deconstructing, cleaning (with a toothbrush :-)) and
rebuilding steam engines and waggons...

Here my question:

Would you consider it spoiling an old model if one replaces old (worn) parts
with new ones (of the same type and color) wherever possible ?

Furthermore, what about stickers (i.e. the blue-red-white lines on the nose of
the Metroliner could be easily replaced by stripes of color from hobby
modeling). It looks like the original, but is it?

I think it can be reduced to the question "What makes a set? The bricks or the
design ?". As for me, it is the latter.

What do YOU think?

Many regards to the LEGO community,
(especially train fans!)

Andreas Frank Werner

(sorry about spelling errors - english is not my native language)