 Trains / 362
    New pictures of 700, Potential challenge to big red —Ben Fleskes
    Finally, (Thanks to Steve) some new, cleaner pictures are up on the PNLTC webpage of my SPS 700 4-8-4 Steam Engine. (URL) was browsing Larry's designs and he seemed to note that Big Red was the longest non-articulated engine around. Hmmm, perhaps (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: New pictures of 700, Potential challenge to big red —John Neal
     Not to start a "mine's bigger than yours" war or anything but... I built a UP EMD DDA40X a while back (which was, I believe, the longest loco ever built at 98'5") which was 70 studs long and could take turns (but with no articulation). Sadly, it has (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

         UP engines (was Re: New pictures of 700, Potential challenge to big red —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Well, I'd love to see pics. UP as a firm is a source of some of the most behemoth engines ever... They are always trying to get more horsepower into one engine package than anybody, because they use more horsepower per train/ton than anybody (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: UP engines (was Re: New pictures of 700, Potential challenge to big red —John Neal
     Thank you for the history lesson Larry! As usual, you are a plethora of information and a good guy to have around. You guessed correctly how I managed the trucks: one attaches to the frame and the other hinges upon it. I used four motor because, (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: New pictures of 700, Potential challenge to big red —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) redo (...) When I said articulated, I mean that the body itself is hinged (ala 4551 or Eric Brok's green Croc), not that there are hinges or joints in the wheels. So my Big Red, which has a small articulation in the trucks to allow them to be (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)