 Trains / 372
Re: UP engines (was Re: New pictures of 700, Potential challenge to big red
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 19:17:27 GMT

Thank you for the history lesson Larry!  As usual, you are a plethora of information
and a good guy to have around.  You guessed correctly how I managed the trucks: one
attaches to the frame and the other hinges upon it.  I used four motor because, after
all, it is DD (all wheels powered).  It didn't look too prototypical going around a
corner, but as you pointed out, the prototype couldn't handle anywhere near our
turning radius constraints either.  This also made my initial attempts at connecting
freight very difficult.  Now I must put the proof in the posting. BTW, at the time I
built the EMD, I was not aware of GE's effort on two trucks- would be a lot easier to
model...  It's such a pity that all of the new locos are going to the "C" truck
design, making it near impossible given what limitations we are under. #1 wish- new
motor featuring 6 wheels (larger) AND gentler curved track.
-John