 Trains / 3362
Re: 8 Wide Train Pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 06:30:01 GMT

Hi Jim,

My PB is a 1400 with a G3 upgrade running at 216 MHz. The video of a PB 1400 is
notoriously slow. So, using it on a G3 300 should work a lot better. I only draw
when I feel like moving slowly and relaxing; otherwise being forced to work that
slowly could be frustrating.

Matt's Track designer works OK. Things tend to bog down when I am moving alot of
track, more than 8 pieces. Since it sounds like you have Virtual PC it would not
take much effort to download MLCAD and give it a try.

Chris

Jim Rorstrom wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:

I may be guilty of being vague AGAIN. Yes, you can run it on a Mac if you • have
Virtual PC. I bought Virtual PC so I could run an IR Spectrophotometry • program, but I
can use Virtual PC to run MLCAD. Yes, it does use the ldraw parts; infact, • MLCAD
requires the LDRAW library. It is REALLY slow on my Mac. Since you picked up a • PC you
might as well use MLCAD there.

Chris

P.S. I promise not to leave out important little details in future posts.

P.P.S. If you do get Virtual PC and you run MLCAD on it colapse the side and • top
views. The program will redraw the screen faster if it does not have to draw • three
views. Also choose parts using the "Add Part" selection of the Edit (?) menu. • The
pictures of the parts in one of the side windows is nice, but it is very slow • going if
you use that window.

John Neal wrote:

Christopher Masi wrote:

Hey John,

  I just started using MLCAD on my PB 1400 (G3 upgraded) boy is it pokey, • but it
works. It is a menu driven program so it is easy to figure out. I couldn't • figure
out LDRAW within the first 60 seconds so I gave up on it. So far I have • drawn 1
truck for my new engine. Sorry you had to go to the computing dark side, • but
cutting LEGO.... I do not know if old Ben will be able to save you.

Am I to understand that MLCAD can be run on a Mac?  Does it use the ldraw • parts
library?
(cross-posting to .geek to see if the geeks can help me)

-John

Chris

I was thinking of getting MLCAD to use on a G3 300 with Virtual PC (Win 98).
In your opinion (or anyone else) is it still worth the trouble?  Matt's LEGO
track program works great on Virtual PC (prabably less demanding than MLCA