 Trains / 3172
  Re: What are the fins on some steam locomotives for?

(...) They are to deflet the smoke from the chimney. Most of the time, the engine design would be such that the airflow across the top of the engine lifts the smoke off the enginetop. Sometimes the designer didn't get it right, and various 'smoke (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Elephant ears (was Re: What are the fins on some steam locomotives for?

(...) These are called, (1) "smoke deflectors"... Very much more common on EuroTrash trains than on US proto (2). Good example of a US proto loco that uses them, though, is UP 8444 1 - In the best, totally unimaginative, tradition of railroad (...) (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Elephant ears (was Re: What are the fins on some steam locomotives for?

(...) Yep, My EuroTrash Live Steamer has them...where does the smoke blow? Right into my face! (Mind you, I'm 16/1 too big for the cab of the engine too!) (...) Actually, I think it has more to do with the size of the engine and the front drag of (...) (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Elephant ears (was Re: What are the fins on some steam locomotives for?

Hey, do you have pictures of your little steamer? They would be neat to see. Chris (...) (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Elephant ears (was Re: What are the fins on some steam locomotives for?

(...) But that's part of the FUN of live steam, no? (...) Yes, I think you're right about that! Turbulent flow would be much more likely to disperse the smoke by the time it got back to the cab than laminar flow would. I wonder if streamlined (...) (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Elephant ears (was Re: What are the fins on some steam locomotives for?

(...) Yep, there are photos at: (URL) are pictures taken out here in Newfoundland...the track here is a bit wonky for running, but I should get a chance to do some repair work this spring, then more running of the engine. James Powell (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)