 Trains / 31276
Re: Texas State Railroad Engine #8
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2011 17:09:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:
   In lugnet.announce.moc, Anthony Sava wrote:
   Texas State Railroad ALCO MRS-1 Diesel-Electric locomotive #8. Built in 1953 by ALCO and General Electric, the locomotive was first owned by the United States Army, and then later by the United States Navy. I have not been able to discover any additional information on her.

Ah, the MRS1, those were a cold war wonder. Built for the US government with variable gauge trucks. More here

You know, I’ve read the Wikipedia article on the MRS-1 already, but somehow I missed the part about the variable gauge trucks - that’s awesome.

--Tony