 Trains / 30600
Re: Train Layout Modules - IR Train Wheel Grip?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:13:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J Railton wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:
   Another thing that has a bearing on this is the lack of grip from wheels used in the current IR train (assuming that the use of these might continue for PF trains). Do we have yet a solid solution to the lack of grip? Is it to use white belts, or could black belts from 9V train motors be used?

There’s no easy way to get tyres off to transfer them. Best bet is to jab a scalpel blade into the IR wheels to get their tyres off, then slip on a LEGO white rubber band instead. It improves the grip up to what you’d expect from a 9V motor unit.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I bought me some commercial black O-rings that are used as sealing. If i remember me right, i think that the size of the O-ring for the RC train wheels is something around : inner diameter = 14mm (d1) thikness of ring = 1,5mm (d2)

The d1 and d2 refers to the d1 and d2 on the following link.

For a lookup, you can search the following pages at the site of ERIKS

http://o-ring.info/en/technical%20manual/ERIKS%20-%20Technical%20Manual%20-%20O-Ring%20Size%20Chart.pdf

I hope that this can help you all in an acceptable way to replace the original ‘no grip’ o-rings with a much better solution.

Regards, Ludo